Thursday, September 9, 2010

Jetting off to London

Monday September 6, 2010
This is my first blog post and I'm writing it on my iPhone, which I'm currently very slow with. Big difference to my fast touch typing like I'm used to. But it's okay because I need practice at this. And I have a bit of free time since I'm on the plane. And I should say, aeroplanes are amazing! I can't believe how good the experience is and that people complain about flying. Yeah okay it was a bit slow getting on, with the queues at check-in and customs and with all the waiting around but it was all a new experience for me so not too bad. I was amazed at how big the plane was when I saw it. But that's because it's an airbus. They are huge!
The A380 Airbus I caught
So anyway, after initially wandering around inside the airport with no idea where to go, I discovered that I needed to print out an itinerary then got to check in, then had to take my bike in my box to the oversized baggage area. I was worried that it was a few kilograms over the 23 kg limit. That's why I had two carry-on bags and six layers of clothes on with all my pockets stuffed full of socks and jocks. But it appeared they didn't even weigh it as far as I could tell, nor did they seem to weigh my carry-on bags and I got through the screening no worries. Then it was finally onto the plane, only had to walk about 2 m to get to my seat, only one seat from the window so I could see out, yes! I was sitting next to a friendly journalist who told me that they had finally replaced the allegedly self-loosening seat belts with ones that didn't loosen because of all the letters of complaint she had sent in to QANTAS. So I thanked her for the improvement in my safety. She also told me some places that I should visit in England, can't remember them now. One was a place that started with 'T' that she reckoned would be similar to Daylesford and has lots of greenies there. Supposedly it is where the movement of non-fossil fuel reliant transportation originated. She probably knows what she's talking about since she's a journalist. She reckoned I should also go and see a famous dam wall 12 miles out of London, figuring I'd be interested in it since I'll be working at Melbourne Water next year. And that cycling out of London could be tough because of all the busy roads and that I should take a train out instead and then ride out to a few county's out.

Before long we were taking off in the plane and this was very exciting, there was some intense acceleration happening. I think I'm using the word 'exciting' too much. But before I left everyone else was using that word on me, asking if I was excited...but I can't say I was. I had so many things on my to-do list and now I'm remembering all the things that I wanted to get done that I didn't get around to, despite the fact that I stayed up all night. Didn't do my tax return, didn't pack all my boxes from the hall into the shed (sorry Jim, Dave and Michael!) forgot to get any language learning or phrase book apps. And I forgot my long johns :(
Anyway, I think aeroplane service is first class and I'm only in economy, I can't imagine how good first class must be! First they gave us a bottle of water. Then they brought us dinner, a choice of two meals, and whatever drinks you like, I had a can of James Squire Golden Ale.
Sorry about the poor photography with the hand in front of the lens. These photos were taken with the iPhone
Then they brought us an icy pole, then a hot chocolate or peppermint tea. It doesn't stop. Flying with service like this is great! Once you're up in the air it's just like being on a train except there is a spectacular view out the window. And a screen in front of you on which you can watch movies or TV shows or watch the news or listen to radio stations or various music albums. I just 'watched' a really boring documentary on 'Digital Nation'. And we just passed over Ayres Rock. Might watch a movie now, it will be my first movie viewing for a long time, many months I'd say. I'm pretty tired now though, after 30 hours without sleep. If I hold out until the next flight from Singapore into London and sleep on that flight then hopefully my sleeping pattern should get into whack with the new time zone in London.
The view of the clouds from above is spectacular. Even the journalist beside me said she never gets sick of seeing them.
Now I'm going to make a disclaimer and say that I don't expect anyone to read this because I don't imagine anyone would be too interested in hearing about how amazing I think aeroplanes are. However, I like recording things and I figure a blog might be cool to look back on later on, and whoever wants to see what I've been up to can, so I will try and keep a bit of a blog which might be a bit tough on an iPhone. We shall see how I go.
P.S. The journalist to the right of me has what must be one of the earliest models of Walkman. Even older than Dads old red one, it's almost the size or a brick and very ancient looking, also red. And the bloke to the left of me has had about 6 scotch and colas already. I'm thinking he must be just about ready for a leak, which means I'll have to get up. Oh well, time to watch Million Dollar Baby.

2 comments:

  1. I thought the same thing about planes. They treat you like royalty and feed you so much, you get scared they may want to eat you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must not be flying Jetstar if they are treating you that well.

    ReplyDelete