Saturday, October 9, 2010

Lancaster to Ambleside

Sunday September 26, 2010
The spot I camped for the night (Lancaster) after I packed the tent up.
It was another slow start, I couldn't believe I slept in until 11 o'clock, and I didn't get away until about 2 o'clock.
The countryside started off fairly flat and boring again, but later got more hilly and scenic.
An aqueduct crossing the river Lune in Lancaster.
Riding out of Lancaster.
Once I was in the Lake District, it became very scenic, and it was a pleasure to ride through this area after all the flat boring farmland I'd been riding through. My motivation jumped accordingly.
Heading toward the Lake District
Heading toward the Lake District
Windermere
Windermere, the largest natural lake in England.
Windermere
Windermere
It turned out to be quite a short day on the bike, because I got to a beautiful little town on Lake Windermere called Ambleside, and I saw the YHA sign and turned in without a second thought.
The Ambleside youth hostel, in the Lake District National Park.
Like I say, I'm sick of camping, what with trying to find a camp site each night, having no light, water or a proper bed, no company and having to pack up again in the morning.
Ambleside had a good vibe.
I got into the hostel and it was packed with young people. It turned out that there were a bunch of Cambridge students there on a retreat for a few days. As I was making my way to reception, an American bloke started chatting to me about cycle touring, because he did a bit himself. Then the girl next to him said "Where are you from?"
"Australia" I replied.
"Where abouts though?" she asked.
"Ah, Melbourne," I replied.
"You look really familiar".
I said "yes, you look familiar too!"
"Melbourne Uni?" she asked?
"Umm, yeah, were you a demonstrator in geology?"
"Yes! Minerals and Magmas, the south west Victoria trip, that's it!"
"Yep that's right...wow, I didn't think I'd meet anyone I knew here!"
Seriously, what are the chances of meeting someone I know in a small town in north-west England?
The hostel cost only £10 I think, but I also paid £18 for a YHA membership, which was meant to make the price a little cheaper and the receptionist said I'd break even if I stayed in four YHA hostels I figured I might and took his word for it. I thought "why haven't I been staying in hostels like this before?!"
I had a shower, haven't had one since Abergavenny ten days earlier, and really needed it. Then I washed my clothes, really needed to do that too!
Then went to go to the supermarket, and got stuff for tea, but I was too late, they closed at 10 pm, so I had to eat more sardine and tomato rolls, I'm getting sick of sardines now too. I'm eating too much fish I think.
I was just eavesdropping on a conversation; they're talking about red squirrels in the area. "yeah, there's one of those triangular yellow warning signs with a picture of a red squirrel, that says "red squirrels drive slowly" "oh do they?" Hehehe.
I was grateful for a real bed that night, even though it was on the third floor, and my legs ached from walking up the stairs.
My hostel dorm at the Ambleside Youth Hostel. First night in a real bed for  ten nights.
I was sharing the room with an old bloke, not sure why there were old people staying in a youth hostel, but of course it didn't worry me. I saw a whole bunch of them going off on a walk the next morning, with their day-packs and hiking sticks. I guess anyone is allowed to stay in these hostels, but it's typically young people because old people either don't tour, or they have a camper-van/caravan or stay in hotels or bed & breakfasts instead.
The view from my window, overlooking Windermere.
A photo of a guy taking a photo of a girl doing yoga on the end of the pier.
Ride stats
Distance: 64.81 km
Average: 16.7 km/h
Maximum: 46.6 km/h
Time: 3:52:19

No comments:

Post a Comment