Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Malesherbes to Paris

Friday December 17, 2010
My campsite for the night in Malesherbes, France.
I couldn't believe how late I woke up, something like 12:45 pm! The 159 kilometres of the previous day must have taken it out of me. I wasn't too worried though, I figured it was only another 80 odd kilometres to the centre of Paris, and I'd easily be able to do that today and find a hostel.
It had snowed more overnight and it was a bit nippy outside so I ate breakfast inside the tent. I packed up and went to load up the bike when I discovered the front tyre was flat. Argh, what a drag! I was so fed up with punctures!
Repairing yet another puncture in Malesherbes, France.
I moved to a nearby picnic table and repaired the puncture, then finally headed off at 3:15 pm! I felt like I'd missed half the day.
The riding was quite pleasant, although there was snow on the road which resulted in a few scares - I almost lost control on several instances due to lack of friction between the tyre and road surface.
The countryside before the outskirts of Paris. On the Route de la Ferté Alais,  in Courdimanche-sur-Essonne, France.
As I got closer to Paris, the roads got busier. I hit the outkirts of the city some 40 kilometres from the centre, so it was pretty slow-going getting right into the centre, and I know I've said this a number of times before but I felt quite endangered due to the hectic traffic.
I made it into the CBD unscathed, then I was able to follow some bike paths along the river to get to the hostel, which I arrived at just after 9 pm.
It was quite a milestone reaching Paris, and it meant I was pretty close to my final destination of London. So I was confident of making my plane, as long as the snowy weather held off. I had a few days to spare to see the sights of Paris and enjoy sleeping in a real bed in the hostel before embarking on the final leg of my journey.
It cost €73 euro for the three nights I'd booked in, so one of the more expensive hostels I'd stayed at, but to be expected in Paris, I figured. I was up on the fourth floor, but conveniently there was a lift, so I had no trouble moving into the six-bed dorm, and I moved my bike in too. I devoured a large amount of cake for tea, and having had little social interaction for the past week, I chatted to the only other person currently in the dorm, an Australian girl called Sarah. She was from Noosa Heads, but she'd worked in the ski resort at Falls Creek during the winter. She was quite young (and a little naive, I felt), and had no idea about bicycle touring, or bike riding in general. I think she thought I was a little strange.
I had a much-needed and well-deserved shower - it must have been a week since I'd last had a shower, in the hostel in Marseille, which was 875 kilometres ago! I organised all my stuff and spent hours surfing the net before I finally went to sleep at 4:30 am.
My route for the day, Malesherbes to Paris.
An overview of my route from Rome.
Ride Stats:
Distance: 88.3 km
Average: 18.3 km/h
Maximum: 48.6 km/h
Time: 4:50:47
Total Ascent: 473 m
Total Descent: 489 m

No comments:

Post a Comment