Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Siena to San Lorenzo Nuovo

Saturday November 27, 2010
Due to my late bed time, I decided not to set the alarm for 7 am as previously planned, but went for 8:30 am instead, giving me almost three hours sleep :(
This wasn't good for Maja though, since I'd told her I was getting up at 7 am and I was her emergency alarm - she had an exam at 8:30 am. And as it turned out, she was fast asleep at 8:30 am when I got up, so I had to wake her up. She got up quick as a flash, went into panic mode and rushed off to her exam.
Luckily for her, she got in and everyone was twiddling their thumbs because the lecturer was late. This would never happen at Melbourne Uni! They seem a bit more laid back at the University of Siena. She can thank the lazy Italians.
I spent the morning packing up all my stuff and downloaded a few maps.
I was just about ready to go but Rosanna had to rush off to the police station to get her permit of residency card, since they are only open until 11:30 am two days per week. She forgot a form so I had to run it to her. I wandered back to the flat and took a few photos on the way:
Siena, Tuscany, Italy.
Siena, Tuscany, Italy.
Siena, Tuscany, Italy.
Siena, Tuscany, Italy.
A building by the Piazza del Camp, Siena, Tuscany, Italy.
Piazza del Camp, Siena, Tuscany, Italy.
Siena, Tuscany, Italy.
Heading out of one of the city gates of Siena, Tuscany, Italy.
I finally headed off at around lunch time.
It was sad to leave; I'd really enjoyed my stay in Siena. I left a bottle of wine for each of them to show my appreciation for them having me stay in their beautiful flat. To be honest, I wasn't itching to get back on the bike. Somehow the joy of cycling has gone for me at the moment. I don't know what it is. I must have killed it by doing too much cycling in a short space of time.
The scenery wasn't too bad.
Tuscan countryside. On the Strada Cassia Sud, past Cerchiaia, Italy.
Tuscan countryside. On the Strada Cassia Sud approaching Colle Malamerenda, Italy.
Tuscan countryside. On the Via Cassia, past San Quirico d'Orcia.
Me on the road again, on the Via Cassia, past San Quirico d'Orcia.
I was also glad that the weather was sunny, since it had been raining for the previous week.
I listened to podcasts for most of the way. Hamish and Andy had their moments but it wasn't that interesting for me. I think their show is too mainstream for me; they talk too much about pop music and pop culture. I've never been a fan of commercial radio.
Then it was Dr Karl on triple j, always a good listen. The podcasts helped the kilometres pass by; I don't know how I've done without them for the whole trip.
On the Via Cassia, near Bagno Vignoni, Italy.
On the Via Cassia as the sun sets in Italy.
As it got dark, it also got really cold, right down to zero degrees. I had to ride with my polar fleece jacket, and I was still cold!
I could really do with some company I reckon, someone to ride with.
I was so tired after three hours sleep that I was almost falling asleep on the bike. So after 100 km I finally spotted somewhere to pitch the tent - an open patch of grass with a few seats, right next to the main road in a little town. I didn't think it being open would be a problem though.
I spent a while trying to find a toilet, then ate left over stroganoff for tea and set up the tent. I really miss staying with Rosie in Siena already. She's got a really good set up there, living in a beautiful city with a beautiful flat, good friends and her being able to speak Italian, I must say I'm a little jealous. I wish I could have stayed longer and done some more sight-seeing with Rosanna but I need to get to London in time to catch my plane and like Rosanna said, if I stayed much longer her housemates would probably start asking me for rent.
I could easily live in Siena though, for a stint.
Having to set the tent up, on your own, in the cold, really makes you appreciate having a house to stay in and friends to talk to.
As Dappled Cities Fly said [an Australian Indie rock band], "Is it the night that makes the day seem bright?"
My route for the day, Siena to San Lorenzo Nuovo, Italy.

An overview of my route so far from France to Italy.
Ride stats:
Distance: 107.43 km
Average: 18.1 km/h
Maximum: 53.4 km/h
Time: 5:55:29
Total ascent: 871 m
Total descent: 759 m

No comments:

Post a Comment